Bad processes in Fedora 2

Sometime I'll be using grip and it will hang. So I'll do an XKill and
then go to a terminal and do a ps -A. In the process list, there will be
a process labeled grip. I will do a kill -9 as my normal user and when
that doesn't do anything, I'll do it as root. However, it still doesn't
make the process go away. I thought that kill -9 was the end all, be
all, of process termination. Any thoughts?

Ken