Re: Questions about Fedora 2

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:32:54AM -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> On Friday, Oct 1, 2004, at 11:18 US/Central, Ken Keefe wrote:
> >How do I turn on automounting like I have in Mandrake? I tried to
> >connect a usb hard drive and had to struggle to figure out the right
> >line to add to fstab.
>
> Automounting exists in Fedora (see /etc/init.d/autofs and 'man autofs')
>  I don't know how Mandrake does automounting so I can't say how it
> compares with Fedora.

A lot of that sort of thing is done via tools tied to the GUI...  I
think the GNOME tool is magicdev and the KDE tool is autorun, but
since I *hate* it when things are done for me automagically, I never
install those things, so I'm not completely positive about that.  :-)

Apparently FC3 will be much more magic, with udev/hal/dbus/etc.
managing everything on the system.  I'm not looking forward to it
personally, but I could see where that would appeal to the average
user.  ;-)

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.