Re: Installing Linux on RAID

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 20:26, clangin@siu.edu wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have obtained a four-year-old Dell server with three RAID
> drives on it.  This is my first experience with RAID.  The server
> currently has Windows on it.  I tried installing SuSE 9.1 and got
> the message that no hard disk was found.  I was wondering if
> there is something special that I have to do in order for SuSE
> to see the RAID?

Chet,

Like most hardware devices, you need the right software driver before
you can use it. I'm far more familiar with Red Hat than with SuSE, but
check your /var/lib/<kernel_version>/kernel/drivers/scsi directory for
the driver for your controller. If you can specify that driver during
installation, your RAID array should appear as a single /dev/sda device.

--Doc