Re: HP abandons Itanium2 in workstations -- Analogy to Ethernet:

A lot of people get lost in my "core dump" of how Opteron is different.

Here it is in an analogy to Ethernet in 3 parts:

Intel AGTL+ (Xeon SMP):                 3-port Ethernet Hub
Digital EV6 (Alpha 264, Athlon MP):  4-16-port Ethernet _Switch_
AMD NUMA/HyperTransport (Opteron):    _Direct_ Ethernet Links

AGTL puts CPUs on one port, all memory to another, all I/O to the 3rd.

EV6 puts each CPU, memory bank and I/O on their own ports
Athlon MP using AMD762+766/768 is 4-port:  2 CPU, 1 mem, 1 I/O

Opteron 200/800 has each CPU with direct cables to everything else.
2 DDR and 2-3 HT (1-2 to another CPU, 1 to I/O) _per_ CPU.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org