Bash Question

When I open a graphical application from the xterm prompt, the
application is coupled to the xterm window. Closing xterm closes the
application, whether I want it to or not.  I know that there is a
switch that I can add to the xterm command that will uncouple xterm
from the application.  I've been up and down the BASH man page about
three times now and It isn't jumping out at me.  Would anyone know
this switch off the top of their head?