Re: Sendmail vs. Postfix vs. ?

Hi L.,

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 18:10:02 -0500 (CDT) UTC (9/4/2004, 6:10 PM -0500 UTC my
time), L. V. Lammert in part wrote:

>> Exactly... Postfix and qmail do the same thing, combine MTA and MDA...
>> Sendmail does not..  It appears your Windows mail server does also.
>>
L> Any MTA *includes* a MDA per your terminology.

Any MTA has to put mail somewhere, obviously <g> So, I guess in that vein,
then any MTA that delivers email somewhere you can read it is also
technically a MDA (see next paragraph). I was trying to simplify process to
Whil, so he can get a grasp on the concept of what happens, and what is
involved. I did not want to complicate things for a newbie. I stand
corrected with respect to Sendmail (see last paragraph).

L> Don't confuse a MDA (part of an MTA function)

actually, over the years, MDA (mail deliver agent) has become the term used
pretty much to define an independent program such as maildrop or procmail,
where it becomes the LDA. It is of course *invoked* by the MTA.

L> with a MUA like POP or IMAP.

MUAs, are not POP or IMAP... those are protocols... MUAs are mail
user agents ... your email client.

L> Sendmail works just fine with Maildir, the same as Postfix and qmail.

Good to know. I have not used it in 7+ years, and probably will never use it
again.. <g> Sendmail is still monolithic in its design, replete with a long
history of security problems, and Postfix and qmail being modular, without
the security problems, IMO are a far better choice, but to each his own.

--
Gary