Re: high speed internet carbondale

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 06:20:12AM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 03:38:48PM -0500, Ken Keefe wrote:
> > I have heard very good things about Neon DSL.
>
> I have a client in Chester using them.  The connection seems solid
> enough, and they definitely don't seem to be Linux-hostile, although
> that client is paying for business-class service with a static IP...

actually we found something interesting out from one of the techs at
poof (love the name hehe), since verizon is not allowed to offer dsl in
murphy (due to a rather backward city council) they tack on an extra 40 bucks
a month to your phone bill when you use another provider that can offer it,
this makes the poof dsl's smallest package, $20 a month, into $60 a month
total cost which is as expensive as 3 Meg cable for 768 dsl.

how this all came about . . .

some friends in murphy were setting up phone service with verizon, well GTE err
verizon offered them a dsl package with really good rates without any notion
that they weren't allowed to offer dsl due to the city ordnance (how do you
not know these things if your in that business), instead of calling their
customer they just decided to silently cancel the dsl order.  After
calling to see why no dsl equipment had shown up and being transferred a dozen
or so times they finally found out the order was canceled and there would be
no dsl which prompted the search for an internet service.  They decided on
mediacom cable access because of suggestions I forwarded from the list and
other people they talked with in the community that had service.  Thanks for
all the help and input.

Bob T. Kat