Re: Question about UPS.

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Ken Keefe wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion for a good UPS that I can get for under
> 100 bucks? Its for an Athlon 2000XP box, so it needs to support a pretty
> substantial amount of wattage. I'd like something that could give me
> 5-10 minutes of uptime, if possible.

I've been using an APC BackUPS 500 ES on my Athlon box for a while now. I
think I got it for under $50 (after rebate). I use apcupsd to monitor it,
and everything seems to work just fine. With the computer and a 15" CRT
plugged into the UPS I get 7.4 minutes of uptime, which is plenty for a
transient power failure. apcupsd automatically shuts down the computer
when battery time goes below 3 minutes.

HTH,
JEB