Backup script question...

I wrote a very basic bash script that tars a set of critical files and
then scp's the tar file to a server of mine. For right now it asks me
for a password for the remote user and I enter it by hand. How can I
accomplish this same sort of thing but in an automated fashion? I'd like
to be able to add a cron job so it does this everyday at such and such
time even when I am not around to feed it the password... for obvious
security reasons, I'd rather not store my password in the script or some
other file...

What other suggestions do people have for backing stuff up?

I made the silly mistake of typing rm -rf name * instead of rm -rf name*
and I need to get serious about backing up my data. Luckily I had, just
by chance, created a tar file of the stuff I lost.

Ken Keefe