So, what steps do the normal folks take to secure themselves?

About 5 years ago I was a 100% windows user and never knew that linux
even existed. Now I rarely use windows and when I do, it is only to play
a few games that need windows.

So my question is this, I run Mandrake 10.0 and have Shorewall up and
running, blocking everything. What steps do I need to take in the linux
world to protect myself from do-badders? I never log into root and I
typically don't download and run/compile code from sites that are not
well known. I also perform Mandrake Update regularly.

In windows I am used to having my firewall up and my antivirus software
always on the prowl and I used to run a full system sweep weekly. Is
there antivirus software for linux out there that I can or should (more
importantly) run? To be honest, I'm not sure I would know if I had a
trojan if it came up and bit my kernel on the proverbial ass.

Thanks,
Ken Keefe
Eternal Linux Student