GRIP no workee!

GRIP worked fine until two weeks ago, when I wiped my
Libranet-installed root partition and reinstalled using the Debian
Sarge Beta 4 installer.  I then reinstalled all the debs and
recompiled Kernel 2.6.6.  Now, when I launch GRIP, I get "Error:
Unable to initialize [/dev/cdrom]"

/dev/cdrom is actually /dev/hdc.  It is *not* mounting as a SCSI
device.  I have no problem reading data CDs.  I have no problem
burning CDs with dev=/dev/cdrom in the cdrecord command.  I tried
reinstalling GRIP, to no avail.  I tried invoking GRIP at the terminal
prompt, hoping for more detailed error messages, but they didn't
materialize.  Everything looks good when I power up the computer; all
modules are correctly identified and loaded.

man fstab tells me that the order of records is important, but it
gives no advice on what the order should be.  The following is the
*last* line in my /etc/fstab:

  /dev/cdrom  /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,user,noauto,ro  0  0

I rummaged around in /dev and found the following:

  lrwxr-xr-x  /dev/cdrom ---> /dev/hdc
  lrwxrwxrwx  /dev/cdrom0 ---> /dev/hdc
  brw-rw----  hdc

Ahh... eject no longer works, but I'm over it.

Ahh... again.  I just realized that I can't open aumix.

Suggestions, please!

- Harold