QOTD (question of the day)

I'm grinding toward a May 1 deadline to begin 90 days of operational
testing for Mozilla here at the base. I won't bore you with why we're
undertaking a ratification of the obvious.

One thing I'm breaking new ground|wind with is something called a
Configuration Customization Kit for Mozilla. The CCK appears to be the Son
of Mission Control Desktop for Netscape. MCD was the way you could build a
master set of preference files for old Netscape and push them out to users
from a web site every time they started their browsers. Great tool for
maintaining configuration control on a very large enterprise basis.

I've unearthed a bunch of source code for a beta of CCK written for
Netscape 6.2 and last updated about a year ago. Trouble is, I've got
hundreds of files with line number prefixes. I'm looking for a grinder
script that will remove the first four (or five) characters of every line
in these files:

NNN sourcecodetextsourcecodetextsourcecodetext
NNN sourcecodetextsourcecodetextsourcecodetext
^^^^
I want to strip away these line numbers. Depending on the number of lines
in a file, there are either three digits or four followed by a space.

Can anyone suggest a sed/awk/perl/whatever quickie to do the job? Nothing
fancy. The only criteria is that it be faster than my fingers typing
endless cycles of '4 X downarrow' in vi. :-P

--Doc