Re: License problems with Pine MUA?

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 12:55:07PM -0500, Drews, Jonathan* wrote:
>  You make some very good points about the paranoia concerning non GPL apps.
> I think it is unwarranted too.

It's not paranoia.  The simple fact is that pine is not only not GPL,
it's not open-source at all.  It can't be distributed in a
distribution that charges any real money according to the license.
That rules out all of the commercial Linux and *BSD distros.

>  As for Mutt, I was trying to get that to work but Mutt has to use Sendmail
> or Postfix for outbound mail. The problem is that my ISP (AT&T) appears to
> make it difficult to use an external MTA. That is they want you to use their
> SMTP and not your own computer based MTA.

So you use them as a relay.  That's simple to set up.  Earthlink
requires the same thing.

With sendmail, edit /etc/sendmail.cf and change the line

  DS

  DSsome.mail.server

With postfix, edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and add a line

  relayhost = some.mail.server

Either way, restart sendmail/postfix after you make the change.