Re: OpenSource under Windows (was: chmod + chown )

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 22:55 Robert Citek wrote:
> On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 09:18  PM, <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
> > Interix was a genuine, certified UNIX that runs on top of the Windows
> > NT/2000 (and now XP) kernel. This latest version (3.5 IIRC) is now
> > being
> > distributed at no cost, just like IE. It contains all the goodies:
> > grep,
> > find, ls, ...
>
> Ah, MS is getting into the UNIX distribution game.  Interesting.

In actual fact, they've been selling their "SFU" as they call it for some
time. They just haven't been publicizing it much.

> > BTW, I won't claim it's better than Cygwin. Now that they both cost the
> > the same :-), you can pick whichever one you prefer. USW doesn't come
with
> > source code.
>
> Actually, I don't do Windows.  If I download a copy of the CD, can I
> make more copies to give to my friends? Do you have a direct URL for
> the download?  I'm curious to know what the EULA says.

Robert,

Repeat after me, "Google Is My Friend."

Search on "Unix Services for Windows" and don't bother with anything but
the first match.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to redistribute this? Have your
friends download & install it themselves. If you want, you can tease them
by saying you know where they can get a CLI FTP client for Windows that
supports the "reget" command. That comes in handy when you're downloading
b-i-g ISO files.

--Doc