Xandros 2.0 anew

Good news.

I decided to wipe my XP install, (it had been hijacked and I found over
200 instances of spyware installed), and attempt an install of Xandros
2.0.

Background:
Hardware -
DFI Motherboard
AMD Athlon 1.3 GHz
786 MB SDRam
NVidia TNT 32MB AGP
Realtek 8129 NIC
16x DVD
HP 9500i CD-RW
WD 60 GB HDD
SB LIVE value

Needs and intent -
Desktop environment for;
Internet connectivity
Microsoft proprietary software - Office XP
Accounting software - Peachtree 8.0
eBay turbo lister

I did not check the hardware compatibility list intentionally. There is
an ORB disk installed in the case but not cabled up or powered. Maybe
later.

Preliminary results:
The install went without a glitch as advertised. I allowed the install
to "takeover" all disk space, which was accomplished rather quickly
given disk size. I asked the installer to do a custom-complete install.
Once again accomplished in under 15 minutes. I made a rescue/boot disk.

After rebooting, I noticed during the X session start that the
proprietary driver for my NVidia card had been installed as indicated by
the NVidia splash screen. A very nice touch. I was asked to configure a
few things and the OS found my HP Deskjet 5650 connected to the parallel
port without fail and successfully printed a test page. w00t w00t. I had
to ,of course, configure my LaserJet 4+ networked via jetdirect server
at 172.16.64.140. It faltered when I entered 172.16.64.140:9100 for the
network name so I removed the port address and it found the jetdirect
server. The driver installed and I successfully printed a test page.

That's the end of the good news. Very smooth, and fairly handsoff. A
quick tour of the desktop shows everything to be installed.

The bad news. I fired up Crossover Office setup and put the Peachtree CD
in the DVD drive. It gave me a mostly black screen with a smattering of
orange speckles. I perhaps need to investigate any successful peachtree
installs on Crossover. Too bad I'm not using Quickbooks, it's supported.
I like Peachtree.

I just installed IE6 SP1. I don't know why but I did and it installed
properly according to the installer.

I'm not done. More to come.