Does Microsoft thwart Intel initiatives ?

I remember Bryan Smith's take on Intel and it's Linux initiatives at Dell.
I am getting the feeling that the patent software industry is more like the Mafia and that Mr. Gates is "boss of bosses".

Excerpt from
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/24/technology/24soft.html

The documents also suggest that Microsoft sought to pressure Intel to
cancel its plans to invest in Go. On June 28, 1990, Mr. Gates wrote a
letter to Mr. Grove trying to convince the Intel executive that he
should back a version of Windows for portable computers, then code-named
Windows-H, rather than Go's PenPoint software.

"I guess I've made it very clear that we view an Intel investment in Go
as an anti-Microsoft move, both because Go competes with our systems
software and because we think it will weaken the 386 PC standard," Mr.
Gates wrote.