Re: Fedora Core 1 (was Re: review of Gentoo)

> From: Steven Pritchard <steve@silug.org>
> Date: 2004/03/23 Tue AM 10:15:44 CST
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:15:45PM -0600, Ray Lewis wrote:
> >
> > I have been running Red Hat 9 for awhile and am happy with it.
> > However, I have been wanting to upgrade my laptop to Red Hat 10 (grin
> > Fedora) but the upgrade from the CD failed.
>
> Interesting.  What was the error?  Are you sure you had a good CD?

My installs fail also, with a "Could not transfer installation image"
error.  That's even with the second FC1 CD1 you burned for me.  I've tried
on a generic white box P133 w/32, Dell Optiplex P2 450 w/128, an old Dell
Latitide P2/233, a Compaq DeskPro P2/350 w/128, a brand spanking new
Dell Latitude D800 w/1GB, and a brand new Dell PowerEdge Dual P4/2.8
w/4GB.  They all fail with the same error, regardless of which CD1 I
use, and regardless of whether the HDD's have been wiped.  All of them
will scoot right through a RH9 install though...

> If you decide to upgrade from RH9 to FC1 with apt, let me know, and
> I'll get you some updated instructions.

I wouldn't mind doing that, if you can provide the directions.  The P133 was
my router, but kept going offline.  I ended up using IPCop on the Dell
Optiplex, but feel completely locked out of it.  I can't mount a CD
to load the patches, as there is no /dev/cdrom, and MAKEDEV acts like
it's working but never puts a file at /dev/cdrom.  The system doesn't
come with wget, lynx or links, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to
get patches on it, aside from diskettes, and I'm just not going to go
that route. ;-)  Need to see if there is an ftp client installed...

For those that may be wondering what "kept going offline" means, the
system would come up, bring up both eth0 (Intel PCI 10/100) and eth1
(Kingston ISA 10) and route (RH9 with IPTables/Smoothwall) packets for
about 30 seconds, and then down eth0.  eth0 was the external interface,
and would come right back up with an ifup command, but would still go
back down within 30 seconds.

I could find nothing applicable to the issue in any of the log files
I thought to check.  I am indeed willing play with it again if anyone
has any suggestions on how to fix it...

> Steve

Thanks,
William