Re: Those Pesky Module Paths

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 07:23:40PM -0600, Harold Crouch wrote:
> The module does exist in one of the folders under /usr/src/xfce3/.  I
> tried putting it in the same folder as xftree, but xftree didn't see
> it.  I tried putting xftree in /usr/local/bin/ *and* putting the
> module in /usr/local/lib, but still no joy.

Did you run ldconfig after putting the library in /usr/local/lib?
(If you run "ldconfig -v", you can see if it gets picked up.)

Those kinds of things are (often) hard-coded into the binary.  You
might just be better off building with a prefix of /opt/xfce3 (usually
you'd do something like "./configure --prefix=/opt/xfce3") and just
installing the software.  That way, if/when you want to remove it, you
can just "rm -rf /opt/xfce3".

> Else, how does one pass module location to a binary in a BASH startup
> script?

The environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is probably what you are
looking for.