Re: SILUG Mailing List User Configuration

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 02:12:24PM +0000, hcrouch@mchsi.com wrote:
> Can you -- would you -- place somewhere on the SILUG web page either a
> link to the SILUG mailing list user configuration URL or instructions
> on how to get there?

You can go here:

  http://www.silug.org/cgi-bin/majordomo/mj_wwwusr

But you can also do whatever you want by sending "help" in the body of
a message to majordomo@silug.org.

I've added a note at the bottom of

  http://www.silug.org/lists/

with the same information.

(I seem to recall that I didn't put that there the last time we
reworked the web site because the web interface was a little funny
back then.)

> Am I correct in assuming that Majordomo is the name of the mailing
> list software that you are using? How does it compare to Mailman?

I'm actually using Majordomo2, which isn't actually related to the old
Majordomo except that it has an upgrade path from old Majordomo.

The major features of Majordomo2 are

  * written in completely modular Perl5
  * includes scripts to upgrade from Majordomo
  * full email interface
  * decent web interface

Mailman is

  * written in Python
  * not at all backwards-compatible
  * no email interface
  * decent web interface

I'm a Perl bigot, so that pretty much rules out Mailman, but at the
time I upgraded to Majordomo2 from old Majordomo, Mailman was really
new and still fairly buggy, as I recall.

Also, there's Mailman's bogus use of passwords...

  http://www.jwz.org/doc/mailman.html