Re: *BSD

I don't (by any means) want to argue with Jonathan here, but I do need
to point out something.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 04:21:49PM +0000, j.e.drews@att.net wrote:
> 1) FreeBSD has more recent software than Linux. Example: I have
> Gnumeric 1.2.6 (soon to be 1.2.7), and the latest version of
> OpenOffice, Gnome, Xfce as well.
[...]
> 3) It's easy to update and install FreeBSD ports. I can upgrade all
> of Kde by simply typing the command:
> # ./run.cvsup.ports; portsdb -Uu; pourtupgrade -arR;
>
> before I go to bed. In the morning, Kde will be updated from 3.2.0 to
> 3.2.1. It's this "fire and forget" nature of FreeBSD ports that make
> it wonderful.

Both of those are a function of the distribution, not the OS.  In the
case of FreeBSD, the distribution *is* the OS, but the same isn't true
of Linux systems.

Personally, I prefer the "apt-get upgrade" route to building
everything on my own system.