BSD stack in Windows; was *BSD

Ok first to clarify a few things on the Tcp/Ip stack in Windows. This is the response from Greg Lehey.

On Sunday, 21 September 2003 at 17:14:11 +0200, Yannick Van Osselaer wrote:
> On Sunday 21 September 2003 16:50, Jonathan wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>>  I came across this statement while looking for info on why desktop
>> software can be so buggy:
>>
>> Excerpt:
>> "How many non-technical people know that, at least as far as I know, one
>> of the primary reasons Microsoft's NT and Win2k etc. actually works and
>> remains stable on a LAN is that they used the BSD TCP/IP code.   How
>> pathetic it is that Microsoft, with all their billions, can't write
>> clearly defined protocol stack software, uses open-source BSD's, and
>> then spends millions trying to stymie open-source software! "
>>
>> From:
>> http://anumail1.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2002-August/020463.html
>>
>>  Is this true? That the Win 2000 and NT machines uses BSD code?
>
> Yes, it's true. At least for the TCP/IP network stack.

No, it's not true.  For a while we thought it was, but we proved to be
incorrect.  Microsoft's network stack was written by a Scottish
company called Spider.

Greg

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=8602+0+archive/2003/freebsd-newbies/20030928.freebsd-newbies