Re: barriers to adopting Linux by newbies

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 18:59, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> The real question to be asked is: Does this target audience want an Open
> Source UNIX system or do they want a free version of Windows?

Exactomundo!  [ BS thanks God that Mr. Drews showed up ]

> By that, I mean that connecting to the ineternet is the easy part.
> It's setting up the firewall that is a real headache in Linux.

FC1's firewall isn't half-bad (far improved over RHL9 and earlier).
Other distros are similar.

Plus there is always IPCop:
  http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9023/sam0402a/0402a.htm

IPCop comes with _advanced_ logging and Snort IDS "out-of-the-box," as
well as various other capabilities.

> I agree with Brandon that ipfw and ipf are a lot easier than the ipchains
> in Linux. So the question is how do we make the linux firewall setup
> easy to do?  Nevermind the dial out.

Either use the distro's ultra-simple tools, or use a network-based
firewall.  IPCop makes it easy to do a _lot_.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org