Re: I'm Looking for a Database Wizard!

From: Harold Crouch <hcrouch@mchsi.com>

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 20:40, William Underwood wrote:
> That sounds like a Microsoft ideal,

No, _far_worse_!  I'm about technical arguments, not political ones
(e.g., even my Dell statements).

When it comes to MS Access, Microsoft uses far too many "client-side
tricks" that can cause coherency issues.  This is because MS Access is
often used in a peer-to-peer setup with Jet, and having to handle it
any.

The whole idea with SQL is to have the back-end _always_ handle
caching.  The MS Access and MS SQL combination _breaks_ that.

I'm not against MS solutions.  If MS SQL works for you, great.  I always
recommend MS SQL and a 3rd party front-end (e.g., Delphi if you're not
shy to use a RAD tool).

But I would advise against pairing it with MS Access if you can help
it.  MS Access is an _object_oriented_spreadsheet_ built for single user
databases -- adding in MS SQL does not address some of its major faults.

> Just have to make sure that you use all "SQL views" in your Access
> queries, instead of letting Access run the query, cause Access
> actually sucks the tables down and then runs the query, instead of
> passing the query to SQL and waiting for the response.

Exactomundo!  [ Yes, you were talking technically!  Excellent! ]

> Really stupid way to implement that, but we've tested it several times
> to make sure we weren't stoned about it....

Exactomundo!  Listen to Mr. Underwood, he's on-target.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org