Re: I'm Looking for a Database Wizard!

At 03:44 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:

>My impression is that the Access graphical interface
>would have a lower learning curve for the clerk to use.

Hi Chet,

Apples and oranges, really. Access is an 'environment', sort of like an
IDE. It has a database engine under the covers, but the front end is used
for development and is what has no peer in the OS community, yet. The
wizards, GUIs, and tools make Access extremely productive for small
application development.

>MySQL has a text mode interface and the SQL commands
>could be difficult for a clerk to learn.

mySQL is the backend database. Access can use it's own file-based database
engine, can connect natively to MS SQL Server, or via ODBC to mySQL. We use
all, the choice depends on the workload you expect.

>Both Access and MySQL would take time for you to set up.

Access is really just a client program installation, .. mySQL is installed
on the server and really only touched by admin folks.

>Especially if you do not already know SQL commands.
>With MySQL, you would have to learn SQL.  Access lets
>you use SQL, but also has a graphical way of setting
>up the database.

SQL is not required for either, really, .. it's the front-end tool that
does the creative part in most cases.

Bottom line -   Access = 'IDE' for database programs
                 Access USES a backend database in some applications:
                         mySQL = backend database
                         SQLServer = backend database
                         Access itself = low-level file sharing database engine

         HTH,

         Lee