Re: I'm Looking for a Database Wizard!

At 01:20 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:

>The bad news is that this is just not an appropriate use of a
>spreadsheet.  If
>each paint booth would use the same paint formulation(s) month after month, I
>could get by with the spreadsheet.  But the month-to-month changes cause me to
>have to constantly move, massage, manipulate and otherwise mess with the
>structure of the spreadsheet.  I'm working way too hard maintaining this
>puppy.

What you need is a simple database application. Unfortunately, while there
are industrial strength databases in the OS world, there aren't any decent
frontends yet.

We have used Microsoft Access for numerous applications similar to this, ..
in fact, we maintain a hazardous waste tracking system for a major disposal
site in KY.

>I tried moving this project onto the corporate database.  No joy.  MIS is
>using
>RPG on an IBM mainframe, and they normally deal with accounting functions
>($ in,
>$ out, widgets in, widgets out...).  They are interested, but we haven't yet
>found common ground.

I would recommend an Access front end, if you want to go Linux or BSD, a
mySQL back end works great, and a LOT more manageable than MS SQL Server,
but for less than a dozen users normal Access is just fine with it's
file-sharing access.

Contact me offline if you need help.

         Lee