problem solved

At the meeting last night, I was describing a weird problem I was
having where I was seeing packet loss across my firewall.  I finally
investigated today, and I found a bunch of these messages on the
firewall:

    ip_conntrack: table full, dropping packet.

So for whatever reason, the default 4088 entries in the ip_conntrack
table were being used up.  I found the culprit and killed it, and also
raised the limit by adding an appropriate (net.ipv4.ip_conntrack_max)
entry to /etc/sysctl.conf.

Now I just need to figure out what's wrong with our router...