asound.conf w/ dummy driver

I'm trying to use the dummy driver under alsa, to be able to use esd, so I
can pump multiple audio sources into esd and then pull them out for
streaming.  I've got alsa compiled and it would appear that the snd-dummy
module is loaded.  I recompiled esd (esound) but it's now segfaulting when
I try to start it up.  esd looks like it wants to read something out of
the /etc/asound.conf file.  There does not appear to be a well documented
dummy config for /etc/asound.conf.  Unfortunately the alsaconf program
will not setup a dummy driver, there's no way to tell it to and no way to
select it.

Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?  Esound will absolutely not
run without something resembling a soundcard (there's some brilliance at
work, especially since it's network centric).  Alsa is the only project
that I've found that provides a dummy soundcard driver (Why there's not
one in the kernel is a good question).  It would appear that it can work.
Just getting it to work is the question.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's