Re: descriptive words -- a former Disney contractor's take ...

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 16:22, Bob T. Kat wrote:
> I really think souless and rapacious are very good descriptive words for
> such a fine company like disney.
> Who knows maybe someone like Chen can make them more technology and maybe
> even linux friendly.

I beg to differ.

First off, let me say that I do _not_ agree on some Disney Corporation's
(based in Burbank) lobbying efforts (e.g., DMCA, UCITA, etc...) as of
late.  They are part of the "Big Media problem" which I won't go into.

Secondly, the Walt Disney World Company's (based in Orlando) IT has been
a hotbed of innovation, open source contribution, open standards-focused
increased Linux^H^H^H^H^H--er, IBM deployments.  ;-ppp

To start, search for "Photoshop" and "WINE" and I think you'll be
pleasantly surprised.

And that's just a small one to start.  There are also endless open
source contributions (both original/new as well as augmenting/existing)
from Disney/WDW employees with the full blessing of Disney/WDW legal.
The overwhelming majority of those contributions go unnoticed.

If you want to meet some _real_ WDW IT employees, check of Linux
Enthusiasts and Professionals of Central Florida (
http://www.leap-cf.org ).

-- Bryan J. Smith
   Former Contractor at WDW Finance/IT in Orlando (2002-2003)**
   Recently relocated to Bloomington, IL on another contract

DISCLAIMER:  My comments are made as an independent consultant and do
_not_ reflect the views of _any_ clients I have consulted for.

**NOTE:  I would have liked to take a permanent position with WDW,
except they have been on a 2+ year hiring and wage freeze (although
Eisner still gets his bucks).

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org  http://thebs.org
CCDP LPIC-2 MasCIWA MCSE2K+Sec RHCE9 SCNA8 SCSecA9 +20 more certs