Re: MDK 9.2 out

> > Nope. Inclusion of commercially licensed software that does not
> > include the right to copy and re-distribute. MDK negotiated a license
> > for themselves to do so from companies that do not offer their
> > software under the GPL.
>
> Ah, interesting. I didn't know Mandrake was bundling commercial software
> now, guess I haven't been keeping up with Mandrake. ;)

As I understand their product line now, there will be a single CD ISO of
only free software.

Their main products are the "Discovery" pack, the "Power" pack, and the "Pro
Suite". Each with increasing numbers of non-free (but very, very popular)
applications. Things like Java from Sun, Flash plugin from Macromedia,
RealPlayer from Real, Adobe Acrobat Reader from Adobe, Codeweavers Crossover
Office and Plugin, etc. Some they charge money for, others are downloadable
only from the publisher's website. They just make it easy to obtain all that
stuff in one pre-packaged set of CDs rather than visiting a bunch of websites
and paying separately (and likely more) for the same stuff.

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/92/comparison

And if you're that principled about free software, then don't use MDK.
Use Debian or *BSD. Mandrake thinks (as many other distros do) that people
are able to deal with a reasonable compromise of paying for non-free software
and even proprietary, closed source software, until Free Software takes over
the world.. oh, wait, that's Pinky and the Brain. :=)

It's mainly a "legacy interoperability" issue with users with software from
that convicted, repeat offender monopolist in Redmond.

Mike/