Re: Suggestions?

Richard wrote:
> There is an MySQL ODBC driver for Access, so Access could become
> the front end.

Which is what I was proposing. Basically, you move all of the *data*
into MySQL and out of the MS-Access MDB. As I said, there really isn't
a good replacement for the MS-Access front-end (yet), and the bottom
line is that it really is a pretty productive tool, even if it is from
Microsoft. Which is why lots of people use it over other tools like
Delphi, Progress, FileMakerPro, and the like.

William wrote:
> But then you have to design and distribute the interface for that
> frontend. Wouldn't it be easier to just build a web interface?
> Why go just LM, and leave out the AP? (LAMP)

Because in an existing MS-Access usage situation, the interface is
*already* written. No design or distribution necessary. It's a legacy
system already in place. But it *is* pretty easy to modify an MS-Access
application to use a DSN that points to a remote database instead of the
local MDB file itself. So, you export the data from MS-Access and into
MySQL, and either redefine the same DSN to point to your MySQL back-end
or change the application to use the new DSN that points to the MySQL
back-end.

That process is relatively painless, and you get a much more stable
database (backups, multi-user) in the process for far, far less than
what you'd *have* to pay to purchase MS SQLServer licenses.

Mike808/