Re: Anyone tried the Red Hat beta ("severn")

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 17:57, Jason V Smith wrote:
On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 12:33, Charlie Brune wrote:
> > Has anyone tried it out?  Wondering if there is new, cool stuff in it.
>
> I installed it a few days after it came out.  I didn't really mess with
> it much it's a lot like 9.  There's a few changes with the installer and
> there is a graphical bootup that's interesting.  All in all it seems to
> be a lot like 9 with some enhancements.

Severn installs noticeably faster than previous versions. Don't know if
it's anaconda that's been improved, or rpm. It only took 42 minutes for an
"everything" new install on a 1GHz laptop w/512M.

It's definitely beta. I can receive but not send mail with Evolution
1.4-3. When I try to change the Bluecurve browser icon back to the
original Mozilla, hitting the Browse button causes the utility to hang.

After playing with it for a couple of days I'm beginning to think Red Hat
should sit back and wait a couple more months. Imagine if "Red Hat X"
could claim to be the first production release of the 2.6 kernel for AMD's
Athlon-64.

--Doc