Fwd: ATTN: 2.2 roadmap

Subject: ATTN: 2.2 roadmap
Date: Monday 28 July 2003 12:01 am
From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz@yahoo.com>
To: AbiWord Developers <abiword-dev@abisource.com>

With 2.0 getting close, I feel that it's about time to
start a 2.2 roadmap. A tentative one is here:

http://www.abisource.com/developers/2.2-roadmap.phtml

This is not set in stone - it represents some things
that Martin and I would like to see done in the next 6
months or so.

Many parts are explained poorly, or reasonings not
given. For others, the reasoning might be apparent.
Some parts are overly broad and need sub-categories.
Other parts might be too specific. Try to read between
the lines.

Please review this list. Ask questions about it.
Constructively criticize it. Propose additions or
deletions. Clarify and refine bits. Volunteer to do
parts.

*All flaming, name calling, and bickering will be
ignored.*

Basically, my goal for 2.2 is to have a solid platform
within about 6 months from our 2.0 release. It'll have
lots of feature polish. Lots of bugs fixed. It'll be a
little light on new features, especially when compared
with the jump between the 2.0 & 1.0 feature sets.

Not all of your pipe dreams will get promoted to this
list. There will be a certain amount of editorial
process, and ultimately veto and grant power held by
only a few of us. Any proposal made will have to pass
several critera in order to be pushed onto this list.
Not the least of which are necessity and feasibility
of getting it done within 6-9 months.

Patches always speak louder than words when things
like this are concerned. Don't get too worried if we
veto something now. If you code up something that's
worthwhile and clean, there's an overwhelmingly good
chance of it going in. Your time will not go wasted.

Likely, some of these things will have to be dropped,
or left in a state of semi-completion for our 2.2
release. But it's important that we set goals now and
try to live up to them.

This is my and Martin's brain dump. Now what's yours?

Thanks,
Dom

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com