Re: And the shakedown begins...

At 09:49 PM 7/17/03 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thursday July 17, 2003 Mike808 wrote:
> > http://www.securityfocus.com/printable/news/6402
>
>Mike,
>
>Before I respond to your note, please understand that I consider DMCA,
>PATRIOT and others to be some of the most reactionary, fascist legislation
>ever enacted in this country. I look forward to the day when the Supreme
>Court strikes them down 9-0.
>
>That said, I don't fear them. The doctor quoted in the article was an
>idiot with too much money and not enough backbone to stand up to the Dark
>Side.

Hmm did you read all of the article.

<Begin_Quote>
  But Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Charles McCoy disagreed, and in
April dismissed the suit, ruling that DirecTV's demand letters were sent in
connection with litigation, and were therefore legally privileged. The
judge also awarded attorney's fees to DirecTV, putting Wilens' seven
plaintiffs on the hook for a total of nearly $100,000 in law firm
billables. The company promptly posted the ruling to HackHU.com, one of the
pirate sites they'd taken over, presumably as a warning to others
considering turning the tables on them.

That decision was bad news for Dr. Sosa. After building up a head of steam
over DirecTV's tactics and his own capitulation, he volunteered to be one
of the seven plaintiffs in the extortion suit last year. Now he's
potentially on the hook for a portion of the $100,000 penalty, in addition
to the $3,500 he already paid DirecTV.
<End_Quote>

Yes he should have stood up to them in the first place, but at what
cost.  If you go to a lawyer and they tell you it's going to cost $5,000 to
fight and maybe win, or $3500 to be done with it ...