Re: newbie needs help

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:40:18PM -0500, Leon Raymer wrote:
> I'm a hobby website builder and I have everything ready to move production
> to the linux side....but for the video distortion and ugly fonts.
> Everything displays clean and smooth as long as I'm pulling from my hard
> drive but the minute I try to view one of my local web pages, or an
> external web page, thru my browser (Mozilla, Opera, etc.), it gets real
> ugly. All the fonts are drastically downsized and the whole page appears
> smaller. Any display under linux, in fact, does not fill the available
> screen width and height as displayed under windows.

Kinda just sounds like you need to work on your fonts a bit.  Long
answer:

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

Short answer:  Copy the fonts from your Windows partition (everything
in the windows/fonts/ or winnt/fonts/ directory) to a directory that
is listed in /etc/X11/fs/config (I think
/usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType is there by default) and restart xfs
("service xfs restart").  Your fonts should magically work a lot more
like they do in Windows.

If that doesn't do it, hit the URL above.  If that document doesn't
give you solutions to all your problems, let us know.

> So here I am asking strangers for help......

We're not all that strange once you get to know us...  ;-)