Apache Question

For the past few days I've been tinkering with Apache. I made some changes to
a copy of the configuration file to allow web pages for individual users.
When I went to restart httpd the restart failed.

I've checked the syntax with the "-t" option and it says things are okay.

I've tried using the original configuration file and it still fails when I
either try to restart it or completely reboot the machine.

I was careful to only do one thing at a time to make troubleshooting any
problems I might introduce easier to fix but that doesn't seem to have panned
out in this case.

Any suggestions on what to try or should I reinstall Apache? The rest of the
system appears to work fine including ftp, etc. Just no web server.

Thanks in advance,

Tim