Re: OT: Deal/Toy of the week - Network Cabling Kits

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 09:46:33AM -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Is this plenum cable (fire rated), normal wall cable, or patch-cord cable?
> Note that if it's normal plenum or wall cable, crimping RJ45s is NOT a
> recommended practice (only patch-cord cable, which is more flexible, is
> designed for crimp-on connectors). Normal 'wall' and plenum cable should
> only be terminiated with jacks and a punch-down tool on patch panels.

Also note that despite it not being recommended it seems to work just fine
if you do decide to make patch cables out of it.  At my previous employer we
had spools of both the cheap flexible "patch" cable and the "wall" cable but
we would always run out of "patch" cable much faster (i know people were
stealing these, goddess only knows why) so we would end up making patch cables
out of the more expensive wall cable.  If your just networking your home or
have a small office that you need to make some cheap patch cables this is
perfect.  Now if you work for a large company there is no reason they can't
spring for a spool of the pvc stuff to (other than possibly being cheap
bastards, not that we've ever worked for anyone like that ;-) .  oh and lee
i believe this is the plenum wall cable but could very well be wrong.

Bob T. Kat