firewire/usb2.0 storage & automounting

automounting of a cd works flawlessly in redhat 9

automounting of a volume on a usb or firewire hard drive doesnt do anything
at all.  i know the current limitation of the automounting on firewire is
that the current up to date RH9 linux kernel doesnt map hotplugged firewire
devices to dev nodes yet (such as /sda or /scda), but instead only does so
on boot.  this isnt a big deal (this is fixed in newer kernel versions and
in the subversion tree of the ppl doing the firewire drivers).  my problem
is that when i hook up this hard drive through usb or through firewire, its
never automounted.  ideally i would like it automounted either to the
desktop of the current logged in user or into /mnt and a link be made for
the desktops of all the users.  ive been googling and havent yet found a
real solution to this.

here is the scenerio im looking for (this is borrowed heavily from the beos
way of mounting things).

hook in your usb keychain drive or usb hard drive
system mounts this device in such a way that an icon for it appears on the
users desktop with the volume label
internally its mounted to say /mnt/serialnumberofharddrive
the icon on the users desktop should have an eject/unmount/remove in the
context menu.

one thing to keep in mind is that the first usb device the system sees is
/dev/sda and the second is /dev/sdb, but the icons the user sees shouldnt
scream out that the /dev/sd? path is different if the devices were plugged
in in reverse order

this automounter should be able to be set to mount certain file system types
as read only always (such as ntfs) and also set permissions so that other fs
types are mounted rw for a certain group and ro for everyone else.

maybe even unmount after 30 or 60 seconds if inactivity but as long as the
device is still physically plugged in the icon remains on the users desktop.

does anyone know of a direction i might start looking in for this?  i have
now fully switched my home system over to rh9 and find having to su and
mount annoying when i just want to ro mount my usb drive to listen to an mp3
or watch a video.  im not against trying to tackle writing/implimenting this
myself but im curious as to what else ppl have done before me towards this
end.

Casey Boone