Re: Linux Peeves

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:37:06 -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 08:43:09PM -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>>  It would be nice if there were a TechNet-like knowledge base for Linux.
>
> It's called "Google".  :-)
>
> Seriously, Google never fails to come up with useful information when
> I search for a string (or substring) of the relevant error message *in
> quotes*.  If you don't quote it, you will search for the words out of
> order.

Yeah, I have to agree. Google seems to archive everything, and by
everything, I one time disocvered an open CUPS print server at Ohio
State when searching for a certain string. But truly, I have found
Google to be useful in almost every case when searching for a specific
error or so. All one has to do is enclose it in quotes and strip out
all the system-specific stuff (for example, don't search with the name
of your home directory listed), and it is almost guaranteed to find an
answer.

--
Scott C. Linnenbringer
sl at eskimo.com