User permissions and groups

Hi y'all.  I'm a relative newbie to Linux (read about it for a year,
seriously moved to using it full-time about 6 weeks ago).  What are a
good set of changes to make to the file/group permissions to my user on
my system?  I know not to work as root unless necessary, but I was
wondering what are some good changes to make to my user in order to save
myself from changing to root all of the time.  I have three systems that
I use (a web server running Slackware 9.0, a workstation/desktop PC
running RedHat 9, and a development box running Slackware 9.0 at work).
 Do I want all of these to have access to the same files/directories?
 Is there good documentation about this somewhere (I've looked, but not
found much)?  TIA!

Adam