Re: Sam's is selling Open Office

On 19 Apr 2003, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 20:32, Nate Reindl wrote:
> > Office suites, however, always carried with them the need for payment or
> > an obscure license.
>
> Maybe, but in my experience when you offer folks a choice between paying
> for something and downloading it for free, they hardly ever reach for
> their wallets. Particularly if multiple copies are needed.

Home users, yes.  This isn't quite so true, in my experience, with people
needing to do work with their products.  Too many people think
free==shareware, and we all know that shareware != good.

People are scared. Paying for something makes them feel better sometimes,
because they have someone to yell at when they find out their still
incompetant despite the new product :-)

Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/