Re: nVidia is OS?

> > i trust redhat to have a good knowledge of the working of the linux
>kernel,
> > i cant say the same thing for nvidia (nor ati, nor matrox).
>
>Why? Because they ship a distro? nVidia stands behind their kernel patches
>just as much as any of the distro makers stand behind theirs. Please tell
>me
>of your experience with filing kernel or driver bug reports with RH or
>nVidia.
>I can get anecdotes from the respective marketing departments.
>
>And many packages included in the distros are straight off of sourceforge
>or the author's site. Does that mean that any joe programmer hacking
>on those packages has a "good knowledge" of the kernel?
>
>I can't say I trust your reasoning for placing your trust in RH, as it
>seems
>more based on "pack mentality" and marketing than actual experiences.

redhat isnt joe blow programmer.  redhat also helps contribute to the kernel
as well as alot of other large projects on linux.  what is your basis for
comparing the two?

and if i pull something from freshmeat chances are it doesnt muck with the
kernel.  you find me a single thing on fresh meat that alters the kernel and
i will find you a thousand.  im talking about nvidia altering the kernel and
knowing what they are doing vs redhat altering the kernel and knowing what
they are doing.  redhat has a vested interest in pushing out a stable
product on top of a tested stable kernel.  nvidia does not, their market
caters to the 95% who run windows, not the 2-4% who run linux.