Re: NFS mount error

> Anybody know what this error means?
>
> # mount /pub
> mount: RPC: Program not registered

NFS requires RPC to operate, since NFS is basically a bunch of RPC calls.

That said, remember that everybody and their uncle wants to block RPC
at the firewall and not run RPC services at all if they don't have to.

You apparently don't. It sounds like the RPC listener isn't running and
maybe you don't even have the RPC ports listed in /etc/services.

So, when mount tries to issue the NFS commands, it can't find the underlying RPC
stuff.

And remember kids, NFS stands for "No Friggin' Security".

If I am root on my box, and I NFS mount a share from your machine, I am root *on
your box*.

Mike808/