OT: Mary Wickes rests in Shiloh

I've always had a fascination with cemeteries.  Don't know why.  Maybe
it's because I like sculpture.  Maybe it's because they're dead and I'm
not.  Who knows?

Anyway ... just down the street (across I-64) from the O'Fallon library
where we have our meetings, you'll find the Shiloh Valley cemetery.  Mary
Wickes is buried there.

For those of you playing at home ... Mary Wickes' real name was Mary
Wickenhauser.  She was in LOTS of movies, mostly playing housekeepers.
You might remember her from "White Christmas" or as the older nun who was
the choir director in "Sister Act."  You can look her up at us.imdb.com.
She was funny.  Directors and producers are still asking for a "Mary
Wickes type" when casting movies but, as the saying goes, I think they
broke the mold.

No one is really certain how old she was when she died, but she did live a
good, long life.  She graduated from Wash U. in St. Louis and left a nice
endowment to them in the name of her parents.  I think one of her
ancestors was a Governor of Illinois (also buried in the same cemetery).

She's buried in the family plot next to her mother.  In the interest of
full disclosure I must tell you that she was, in fact, cremated in Los
Angeles and her *ashes* are next to her mother.  Doesn't matter to me.
She's there.

What I find fascinating is that the name "Mary Wickes" is nowhere to be
found on her marker.  Instead, it says, "Mary Isabella, daughter of Frank
A. - M. Isabella Wickenhauser."  So, in the end, she just wanted to be
with her family.  I like that.

Okay ... that's all the news from Sunset Hills.  Thanks for reading this
far.  I'll see you all at the meeting.

Charlie