Re: BSD Init scripts [Was]: Gentoo:

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 10:21:19PM +0000, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Also answers "Why are the SysV init scripts a problem?" as well.
>
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/boot-scripts/

Uh-huh.  This from the guy who brought us devfs.

> BTW, SuSE also uses a more BSD-style init script startup, and they don't
> seem to be having any difficulties supporting lots of installations.

SuSE was once a Slackware-plus-stuff distribution, and they still have
some weirdness left over from that.  (Although hopefully most of that
has been killed once and for all in United Linux.)

> Steve's just bitter because not everyone uses RedHat and when all you have
> is a hammer, everything has to look like a nail. :=)

When I was supporting large numbers of systems at $previous_job, they
were almost all HP-UX.  HP-UX's init scripts were a little uglier than
I would have liked, but other than that, I have no complaints (with
their init scripts).

The chkconfig tool I mentioned earlier was originally an IRIX thing.

This has nothing to do with Red Hat vs. the world.  My arguments would
be the same if I were a Debian user, for example.

In general, I like BSD.  The SysV init stuff is one of the few (maybe
only?) good things about SysV.