tape backup software

I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone have any
experience with any free and at least mildly sophisticated tape backup
software for Linux?  I'm looking for something a little better than
tar/cpio/dump, and not just a front-end to one of those.  In other
words, something more like BRU.

Given that the system with the tape drive is running LVM, I may just
end up using dump on a snapshot...