Re: Wells Fargo

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 16:58, William Underwood wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:05:19 GMT
>  mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> >> I had an interview with Charter the other day and was told I'd get into
> >> trouble if I was caught providing customer service to Linux OS users.
>
> Customer service, I doubt.  Technical support, I believe.
>
> <snip>
>
> >Just as SBC can't tell you to go away if you have a RatShack phone and not
> >an
> >SBC phone, and you're having phone service trouble, neither Charter nor
> >SBC should be able to decide you (the voter and consumer) are SOL. But the
> >only place they will listen is in their cable contract negotiations.
>
> They won't "tell you to go away."  They will say that they won't provide
> technical support for your configuration unless the only system hooked
> directly to the cable modem is a MS-Windows box.
[snip]
> I've never had a Charter tech tell me to "go away."  I've called about 20
> times over the last two-three years, and have always recieved friendly,
> albiet sometimes unhelpful, support.  Can't say that the Paul Allen has
> nothing to do with it, but I'm sure the low end wages do.

Twenty times in the last 2-3 years?? Obviously nothing has changed since
they were Cox Cablevision. Cox was by far the most customer-hostile
bunch of bastards I've ever had the pleasure of suggesting they all
perform a physiologically impossible act. I've never regretted my
decision to go with DirecTV. A lot of my friends are switching to
satellite, especially after last fall's friendly little rate hike.

Charter Communications is in failing financial health. They were
recently caught padding their subscription numbers by ignoring
disconnection orders from customers who didn't pay their monthly bills
electronically. Those customers weren't billed, but neither were they
dropped from their active subscriber rolls. We all know how the SEC
takes a very dim view of such accounting shenanigans by publicly traded
companies. When word got out they were cooking the books, Charter stock
took a nosedive. Their customer numbers in this area fell off even more
following last fall's rate hike. Their Pipeline service is the only
thing keeping them from sliding into the abyss.

> William
> (Who constantly tells himself to build a Linux firewall-router, and get rid
> of the 400W solaris box, but still hasn't done it.  Why?  Cause dual-proc
> Sparc boxes are cool!?!?  I dunno...)

Two words:  Dual Athlon.

--Doc