Re: Red Hat 8.1

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:26:39AM +0000, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> I'll bite. I've got 8.0. What apt magic do I need to type to "upgrade"
> to phoebe?

I'm not sure how well 8.0->phoebe will work with apt, since I've only
tried it once, and that once I had already screwed with the packages I
had installed quite a bit.  (I was running a lot of packages from
rawhide already.)  Going from phoebe1 to phoebe2 should be really easy
though.

If you want to try it (tomorrow), point /etc/apt/sources.list here:

    rpm http://ftp.silug.org/pub/apt redhat/phoebe/en/i386 os

It is highly unlikely that just "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"
will work.  Something like this is more likely to be only mildly
painful:

    apt-get install kernel\#2.4.20-2.21

Add "@i686" or whatever if you have apt 0.5.x.  That's not likely to
work the first time, since apt doesn't always get dependencies
installed in the right order.  The second time, it should actually
work.

    apt-get install rpm

This will remove apt, so just install the updated version I mentioned
in the last mail.

    apt-get upgrade

At this point, it *might* work.

There's enough changes and interdependencies between low-level stuff
(kernel, glibc, etc.) that it is going to be a *lot* simpler to just
upgrade from the CDs.