Re: ping vs. traceroute

>   I'm hunting down some problems here, and I was wondering what it means
> when one can ping something, but not traceroute to the same address?

ping uses ICMP packets.

Some traceroute programs use udp packets on port 33434 and adds one
to the port number for each hop (so it can tell which ones are
timing out).

Firewalls may block either at intervening hosts for packets addressed
to them directly.

i.e. packet goes from A to B to C. Host B blocks packets
addressed directly to B, but allows packets destined for C
to flow freely through it. Thus, C responds, but B does not.

Mike808/