Re: up2date ??

> The flakiness of up2date can be solved by clearing out the
> /var/spool/up2date directory.

IMHO there is nothing at all flakey about up2date. Some of its users, on
the other hand....    :-)

Seriously, though, up2date is a powerful capability. By default in RH7.3
and RH8.0, up2date is usually called by the RHN panel applet. It can be
used at a command line prompt as an RPM fetcher/installer like apt. And if
your system ever gets out of sync with RHN, you can simply type:

   # up2date -p

to update the list of installed RPMs in your RHN System Profile.

Once I have the RHN account for a system set up and running properly, I
set up the following little cron job. This runs up2date in background as
root in character mode every day at 4:02 a.m., automatically downloading
and installing any available errata or update packages.

    # cat /etc/cron.daily/up2date.cron
    #!/bin/sh
    renice +19 >/dev/null 2>&1
    /usr/sbin/up2date-nox *

I never have to worry about unpatched and vulnerable systems. Up2date
handles everything for me. This is a great way to manage a large number of
servers and/or workstations.

--Doc