ipf ipnat iptables

Ok so my head is beginning to hurt, I like ipf and ipnat but since they
are for all intents and purposes obsolete I'm going to have to learn
something new, not a problem right, well this iptables system is trying
to kill me, does anyone know of a good document on the web that explains
the conversion from ipf/ipnat line of thinking to iptables line of
thinking, yes I know about steves script, and that's all well and good
thank you steve but I need theory, I need to understand what exactly is
really going on from a perspective that makes sense, any help would be
greatly appreciated, thanks

Bob T. Kat

I have not failed.  I have just
found 10,000 ways that don't work.